About this Show

Piers Morgan Live

News/Business. (2013)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Tom Hanks 11, Hanks 8, Mike Mcalary 5, Us 5, Maura 4, Nora 4, Google 4, Nora Ephron 4, Courtney 3, New York 3, Seattle 3, Siemens 2, Los Angeles 2, Hollywood 2, Peter Scolari 2, Alice 2, Jacob Bernstein 2, T. Rowe 2, Bing 2, America 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Live    News/Business.  (2013)  

    March 21, 2013
    9:00 - 10:00pm PDT  

9:00pm
9:01pm
today is gonna be an important day for us. you ready? we wanna be our brother's keeper. what's number two we wanna do? bring it up to 90 decatherms. how bout ya, joe? let's go ahead and bring it online. attention on site, attention on site. now starting unit nine. some of the world's cleanest gas turbines are now powering some of america's biggest cities. siemens. answers. ♪
9:02pm
(train horn) vo: wherever our trains go, the economy comes to life. norfolk southern. one line, infinite possibilities. look out broadway. here comes tom hanks, hollywood's number one leading man, on the great white way for the first time ever. >> i don't think you can be an actor and not want to at some point be on broadway. >> how is he feeling on the verge of his big broadway debut? >> it's the hardest, most fun work you can imagine. >> tom hanks with the all-star cast of "lucky guy." >> can we get back to talking about me, please? >> tonight, they spill his secrets. what is the worst thing you can tell me about tom hanks? you do kiss tom hanks.
9:03pm
>> several times. >> is he a good kisser? >> yes. >> how good? >> so-so >> he answers the question i just had to ask. how many times have you been properly in love in your life? tom hanks remembers nora ephron, the writer of "sleepless in seattle," "when harry met sally." >> nora is one of the most amazing people in the world. >> tom hanks, truly a lucky guy. this is "piers morgan live." tom hanks. that was a good start. >> i love it. my god. that's scary. yes, yes, what? i'm here. you woke me up. >> you have not done a play since 1981. >> the last official play i did was in 1981 in hayward, california. i was a guest artist for my alma mater, and i don't call it community college. it's a junior college. we did "charlie's aunt" directed by an old teacher of mine named
9:04pm
herb kennedy. i think we sold out 1500 seats every night. >> on a scale of 1 to 100, how nervous are you right now? a few days before the opening night and you haven't had to come across critics or an audience in a play for a very long time, 32 years. >> true. i would say nervousness is not nearly the term -- well, what do you call it when you wake up at 5:00 in the morning with your eyes wide open, thinking do i have the lines in scene 110 down? when she comes out on the bed, am i supposed to come -- that's where the nerves hit me, about 5:00 in the morning. >> why are you taking what some perceive to be a gamble? you don't need to do this. you're a huge movie star. you could roll out two great films a year, keep your status as king tom of hollywood. >> you haven't been on my p.r. camp, have you? you haven't been part of that.
9:05pm
we haven't exactly knocked them all dead. well, primarily it's just the great pleasure and the joy of doing it. it's the best -- look, it is the greatest -- second best job in the world next to being a muckraking tabloid journalist. i understand that to be the best job in the world. but i'll leave that to you. i have always wanted to -- i don't think you can be a actor and not want to at some point be on broadway and challenge those waters, but also, nora and i talked about this play going back a number of years, and i felt as though i had never seen anything like this tabloid version of the history of the tabloid press, and so i must say, you got to move a lot of boulders in order to be able to take the eight months out of your life in order to do it, but my kids are gone, you know. my wife's working. not that much is expected of me so off we go.
9:06pm
>> mike mcalary is a brilliant tabloid reporter from the '80s and '90s. he died tragically young age 41 from cancer. >> spoiler alert. >> that's how it ends, folks. you've had lots of experience with the tabloids. how did you find playing a tabloid journalist? >> well, the key about this is that this was when -- forgive me for saying it, but this is when tabloids really mattered. they don't -- i mean, i'm sorry. the internet and the immediacy of everything that goes on in the ether web has completely supplanted that but in the '80s when mcalary wanted to have the loudest and the largest voice, if he really hit the button with his story that day, it carried weight for at least 24 hours, if not 72 hours, until he wrote his next column. so there is a specific part of nora's play in which he delineates between the facts and
9:07pm
the story, that the facts are great and the facts are interesting, but they're not nearly as important as the story that you put out there. and i have been on the side of things where the facts were not what the story really was. all you can do is shake your head and understand that at least in the next news cycle, somebody else will step in a bear trap and take the attention away from you. >> your son colin actually got to broadway before you did. >> yes, he did. yeah. my wife as well. >> i would imagine he's gone through his entire career with people saying hey, what tips has your dad given you about acting. now, he must be the one dishing you advice. >> he was in "33 variations" with jane fonda at the eugene o'neill theater. when i was weighing doing this, i asked him the intangibles or the tangibles such as what time do you eat on a matinee day, and quite frankly, if you have a performance at 8:00, you should have something light to eat about 5:00, no later than 5:15. but then also the routine of how you pace yourself out in order to be essentially ready to play
9:08pm
every night at 8:00. he had been through it and was very smart to his old man. >> they say that stage acting is the most pure form of acting because you get out there, it's life, there's no chance to retake or edit. for you, you've acted in some of the great movies ever made. what does it take, do you think, to be a great actor? >> studying it. humphrey bogart said it was concentration, which i can understand, because in all phases, you can just suddenly notice something on the periphery and if you let that blow your concentration, then the film might be wasted which is bad, but you could go back and grab it again but in this case, the scene, the scene might be blown which is really bad. so that, though, is only i think part of it. the other aspect of it i think is some degree of quite frankly heart. you have to have -- and by heart i just don't mean the feelings.
9:09pm
i think you have to have also the conditioning and the desire in order to get up and repeat it and not just repeat it, because it's not a verbatim thing that you're doing. it's a repeating of the emotional beats and making those connections between all those emotional beats night after night. >> who are the greatest actors of your lifetime? >> the ones that i admire greatly were jason robards and robert duvall. those were guys when i was young, when i was watching all the films and to some degree theater, i was on the cusp between the great legends like john wayne and kirk douglas and burt lancaster but along was coming also deniro and al pacino but for me, i was intrigued by those guys who didn't look or they didn't sound like the movie stars were supposed to look. >> i talked to your wife on this show a few months ago.
9:10pm
>> yeah? >> she was unfortunately very nice about you. she didn't shatter any myths. we have got a little clip to play. listen to this. >> he's always been effortlessly charming, very funny, very self-aware, very how i imagine he would be, which is unusual. >> he really is that person. the reason i had that dedication on the album is because i'll never forget, we were standing on the corner of 57th and fifth in new york or 58th and fifth, and we were holding hands, we were waiting for the traffic light to change, and he looked at me and he said you know, i just want you to know that you never have to change anything about who you are in order to be with me. and literally a wave of -- if love is a feeling or a cellular thing that happens to your body, it went through me and that's pretty much who he is and how
9:11pm
he's been. >> true, happened exactly like that. i can tell you where. it was on central park south right at sixth avenue. and look, we have been married for 25 years and it seems like we've been married two and a half to me. it's blown by so quick. we have two more kids and four of them all together and i tell you, every day's fun. every day's a blast with rita wilson. >> why is it a blast? there's the picture over here. >> there she is. that's right. that's when she was doing "chicago." she has this combination of social grace and life force that is not in the hanks dna. i mean, we have a degree of a mercilessness but she has a mirthfulness. part of it is she has a great greek heritage, tightly knit family in which everybody gets to say any damn thing they would like to about the other person at the table, but it's an inclusiveness. i won't say that it's
9:12pm
nonjudgmental because sometimes the conversations are all about judging each other. but it's a shared judgmentalness so everybody gets to have a voice. i must say when i met rita i thought oh, this is what it's supposed to be like when you're married to somebody. it's supposed to be this carefree and easy and oddly enough, weighty. >> how many times have you been properly in love in your life? >> once. with rita. well, look, as a young man, peripatetically, my family was a diffused one in which it seemed as though everybody could just pack up and leave when things got a little tough which is not exactly the concept of long-lasting love. i didn't suffer any brand of abuse or anything. we were scattered and we were tight in our way. but look, i'm not -- it's no joke. it's naive to say that it took me until i met my wife rita until i figured out that oh,
9:13pm
that's how wonderful it is in order to make the permanent connection. >> is there a secret? you're in an industry that is riddled with marriage breakups, remarriage and so on. you have avoided that. >> quite frankly, that's your job to cover them, piers. let's not take away your bread and butter. we get that all the time but i have to tell you, all my friends have been married for years. i understand that, i get that. but i think if you went to davinport, iowa or the suburbs of dallas, i think every other 50% of the marriages fail. i don't think it's part and parcel to -- >> is there a secret? >> i think finding the right person. and i would say, you know, and taking care of each other. i must say there are some times when without a doubt, you know, my wife has put everything aside and made sure that i was okay, and i'm amazed to say that on a number of occasions, i have had the wisdom to do the same for her. it's all a big learning process and i think you have to be willing to learn and alter yourself. >> i heard she came to see you
9:14pm
for the first time. >> she was at a matinee -- yeah, she was at the matinee a couple -- our first saturday matinee, as a matter of fact. i was not petrified but i was aware. >> do you turn it on for your wife, performance-wise? >> no. because if you do that, then the balance is going to be a little wacky. you got to make sure all of your receptors are turned down a little bit so you can get back to that kind of baseline that is required. she said maybe i'll come by before the show. no, no, no, no. not before the show, babe. not before the show. >> let's take a quick break. we will start bringing out your cast members, your colleagues, and we will start with peter scolari who plays michael davie, a rival in the play. emmy award winner. i'm hoping because you did "bosom buddies" decades ago he knows where the bodies are buried. >> i'll tell you where his are. how about that. google's backyard for the wbing it on challenge..
9:15pm
[fight bell: ding, ding] what's your preferred search engine? search engine, uhh, probably google. if we do a side by side blind test comparison, and you end up choosing google, you get an xbox. i'll bet you the xbox, you bet me your son. well let's look up what you need. okay, i would do the left. yeah? what?! i am a daddy! bing wins it! bing won. bing did win. people prefer bing over google for the web's top searches. don't believe it? go to bingiton.com and see what you're missing.
9:16pm
plays a key role throughout our lives. one a day men's 50+ is a complete multivitamin designed for men's health concerns as we age. it has 7 antioxidants to support cell health. one a day men's 50+.
9:17pm
it has 7 antioxidants to support cell health. do you guys ride? well... no. sometimes, yeah. yes. well, if you know anybody else who also rides, send them here -- we got great coverage. it's not like bikers love their bikes more than life itself. i doubt anyone will even notice. leading the pack in motorcycle insurance. now, that's progressive. call or click today. aarrggh!
9:18pm
this is a great apartment. >> yes, but i'm dressed like a woman. >> it's cheap. >> yes, but i'm dressed like a woman. >> we will constantly be surrounded by beautiful girls. >> it is nice and airy, isn't it. >> so gentlemen, joined by peter scolari, your great friend of more than 35 years. you starred together in "bosom buddies." you keep bringing up my tabloid muckraking. we bring up your cross-dressing past. the obvious question for both of you, are you still wearing women's clothes? >> currently? >> only to appear taller. that's all. the heels do make you a little taller.
9:19pm
>> you mean right now? >> those are for the pilot. we had bob tortoricci was our costumer for the actual series, not the pilot. he put us in -- he would come into our dressing room, say tom, i think we're going to start you out in fuchsia. >> very serious. >> very serious. >> holding up fabric. can you put on this wrap. you know what we were told, i'm sure you'll recall, the drag element, that's just going to be for the pilot. that's just going to be, we're going to get the series sold that way, and then you guys can go on and be hip, clever young guys. >> all the ladies, holland and wendy and thelma, donna, they were all down on the other end of the stage. we had dressing rooms right next to the makeup room. right across the hall from each other. >> so we could get in and out of the wigs -- >> right. we would be leaning in each other's doorway with pantyhose on and foundation garments. >> with the fake bazooms.
9:20pm
>> saying i don't know, man, i was out playing catch with my son the other day. we were comparing notes. >> always trying to be -- >> on life. yeah. >> i want to get into the real tom hanks. what is the worst thing you can tell me about tom hanks? >> he can't hit. can't hit a baseball. you can toss it up in front of him as though he were in preschool, beautiful swing. >> i always imagined and hoped that behind the scenes, his halo would slip and he's a complete piece of work. demanding diva. >> we don't just talk like actors comparing things. there were other guys on the paramount lot, let's say, where we shot that were living the higher life than we were. >> we weren't boring guys. >> no, no, no. we were fascinating. but we weren't troublemakers. >> not troublemakers although there was an incident at the top of the san diego freeway back in 1982. >> let's just say state troopers were involved.
9:21pm
well, one cop turned to the other one at one point and said hey, hey, bill, you know who we have here? >> these are the bosom buddies. >> what had you been doing? >> he was speeding is what he was doing. >> i was speeding and being subjected to a field sobriety test. >> so we had been to a party to celebrate essentially the end of the "bosom buddies" empire or as we liked to call it, the canon of all 39 episodes, and so the good cop, while he's out doing this on the 405, the good cop says to me so you guys been to a party. i said yes, in fact, officer, we have. it was the wrap party for our tv show. >> you haven't been drinking or anything. >> i had a couple -- >> oh, hell yeah. >> well, i wasn't driving. i had had a couple beers. >> i was driving. >> oh, geez. we don't need to get into this. we don't want those poor police officers to get in trouble. >> has he changed, in reality, over the years? he seems such a nice guy.
9:22pm
>> well, you know, now that -- here we are rehearsing, there's nothing more intimately, honestly, than rehearsing for live theater, then being on the broadway stage together. and it's incredible, an incredible experience because we performed, you know, decades ago conjuring the illusion with a live audience we were doing live theater. but we weren't. we weren't. >> he's done quite a bit of broadway so he's -- >> quite a bit. >> he's a veteran. >> someone described the theater as tightrope walkers with no net. there's no mercy. >> tightrope walkers with no underwear. and no net. >> i must say, there's something about the faith that the audience has. in tv they got in for free, no lie. and here, these people are investing no small amount of money in order to get in as well as their time. i think they are charitable in
9:23pm
-- they will give us i think about three and a half minutes to prove that the money has been well spent. >> have you been surprised by his performances back on a stage like this? >> not surprised but very -- i have to kind of pull it together because i really do -- i get moved as a friend, not merely as a fellow actor and you know, we're in early scenes together, suddenly, quickly, there's a lot of courage for any actor, and i don't care who it is, and this guy, he's -- >> we exchange a lot of secret squeezes during the course of the show. part of it is we're still here. can you believe it, peter. we're here. we're still here. yes, thank you. here's my ovaltine. >> you told the "new york times" you're a bit nervous but one of the key messages in the play is from your character to mike. he tells his son who is about to go flip in a pool, when you do
9:24pm
these things you can't be nervous. if you think about what can go wrong, you think about the belly flop, that will be what happens. have you contemplated the belly flop in this play? >> well, i will defer to all of nora's wisdom here. in a nutshell, i would have to say well, nora, with the journalistic mind but for a woman, for an artist who still told great stories, that's kind of like a gestalt rule of thumb right off the bat. if you're going to hesitate at all, you're sort of doomed. you have to -- you have to have the energy of it right through to the end before you start. otherwise it ain't going to happen. >> let's take another break. let's bring out some more of your colleagues. see if we can squeeze the lemon a bit more. [ male announcer ] how can power consumption in china,
9:25pm
9:26pm
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 75% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing. it shows. we don't run like that. we build john deere equipment the way we always have: the right way. times change. our principles don't. you don't just have our word on it. you've got our name on it. that's how we run. nothing runs like a deere. discover the full line of riding lawn equipment
9:27pm
at johndeere.com/howwerun or your local dealer. i'm just warm weather and beaches. but i'm so much more. i'm movie sets and studio tours. i'm family, museums, and world-class art. and that's the point. you'll see things here that you never expected. ♪ only be warned: there's so much to take in... it could leave your head spinning. los angeles. endlessly entertaining.
9:28pm
plan your getaway at discoverlosangeles.com we'll talk with three more members of the cast. what is it like to work with the great tom hanks? given that he's obviously
9:29pm
feeling a little bit vulnerable about having to be a stage actor. >> i believe it's hanks the great is the way to refer to me. >> we laugh a lot. between tom and george c. wolfe, we have laughed throughout the rehearsal process. it's been amazing. and of course, discovering new things and lifting the play up to a different level, making it our own at the same time, it's been -- >> failing. >> failing. openly failing. >> he really makes us all feel at ease. tom is a master at just being himself and we fall right into his little -- >> i can't take any more of this. >> i just wish you weren't so late all the time. >> i will tell you, these guys can like shave it so close that maura gets yelled at for not signing in all the time. is maura tierney in the theater, if she is, will she sign in. i'm here 45 minutes before anything. >> it's true. >> because i got to make my ovaltine.
9:30pm
>> is it comforting working with four very strong actors? >> our ensemble which numbers 14, ten other people on the show, is -- i think it's a safe haven for us all. i think we all get to come in -- >> but you don't get a break. i'm sorry, i know you don't want us to do this. i'm just saying, like we all get a little bit of a respite but tom has to do it all, every second -- >> mcalary's onstage a lot. >> and it must be fun and hard, though, because it's all these different actors and all this energy and all these personalities and you have to -- >> but i get to look forward to each segment as it rolls along. like there's a moment where we have a big thing with you, then i have a big thing with courtney, a big thing with chris. peter comes and goes. mumbling other people's lines. but that's what -- i have to say, i think we all look forward to coming to work every day thus far. >> maura, you play alice, who is the wife of mcalary.
9:31pm
she actually came, his widow, to see the play recently. what was that like for you? >> well, i had met her briefly, we rehearsed for awhile and i decided i wanted to meet her just to meet her without having it affect what we were working on in the room. she's a lovely, very intelligent woman who is lovely and she said i'm coming to the show march 16th and i said okay, and i clocked that away, that alice was coming march 16th but alice came march 9th so i was really thrown but i think she liked it. i think that she liked it. >> and she had her youngest -- >> both sons, actually. ryan and quinn were there. >> who are mentioned in the show obliquely but very importantly. >> yeah. she was very moved and i -- it was important for me. >> i don't know how you do that, honestly. how do you do that? >> i don't know. know what she said? i wish i could just take him home for a night. >> is that what she said?
9:32pm
>> that's sweet. oh, dear. i feel weepy. >> sorry. she did say that. >> boy, that says it. >> because you bear an uncanny resemblance to him. he was a bit more thick. >> yeah, he was very tall. the thing that everybody told me about mcalary, everybody who knew him, said as soon as he walked in the room you thought he was a cop. there was a big impressive forbidding -- forboding demeanor to him. >> he's not designed to be a particularly likeable character. he's a rough and tough tabloid crime reporter at a time when as you say, they had huge power, playing somebody who is not designed to be that likeable, bit of a departure for you. did you find that difficult? >> no, because i understand the desire to be in game and i understand the competitive aspect of it. i think we are all competitive to a degree and i think we all would kill for these kind of assignments. i could string together sentences but they might not make any sense. i would need an expert editor like courtney vance. >> you play the editor.
9:33pm
do you think, after all the time you spent together, would he have made a good tabloid crime -- >> i don't know if i would be able to deal with that schedule that they have, that daily -- that daily pressure. >> maura, you yourself went through a cancer battle. your performance is very raw and very emotional, almost as if you're slightly remembering yourself what it was like. >> i think that people put that on me, to be quite honest. i think i'm just trying to do my job and i think if that's a perception to be put on it that i'm not acting, i would like to think that i'm acting. >> we get to hear her as alice, say after you've been through much, life is supposed to be grand and to be able to be back there, we can all relate to that concept of witnessing going through something that is tough and after that, where's the reward, where's the reward, where's my badge. >> that's what the story is. that's the story telling.
9:34pm
which is what i'm trying to do. i guess everybody's life, everyone's life informs the work that they do. >> to have that power to reduce people to tears which you've done in many of the movies you've made, is quite something to have that. i go to a movie a week -- >> but it's all about the piece. it's all about what everybody else has gone through. i don't know, courtney did 9,000 performances of "fences" or something about as serious an undertaking as you're going to get. i think we have all been able to be in things, you give yourself over to the image of the person who created it was and the bosses who put it all together were all part of this kind of palette. >> some might say, the reason i ask the question i asked you actually is that they think when they have to be emotional in a stage play or movie, they force themselves to think about sad things that have happened in their lives or tragic or dramatic. do you ever do that? >> no. it's all about what the piece is. i think when you're younger
9:35pm
before you have the kind of life experience, that's a way that you can -- that's a means to an end. but -- look, i'm 56. we -- >> i'm not. >> that's a line from the play. >> we dyed her hair to make her look older. but now, you are involved in what the story itself is. look, if anything it is the emotional core of all of this, it's what nora's vision and sensibility was and her translating of the mike mcalary story. >> when we come back, the question all women have wondered for years. is tom hanks a good kisser? le a] what if the next big thing, isn't a thing at all? it's lots of things. all waking up. connecting to the global phenomenon we call the internet of everything. ♪ it's going to be amazing. and exciting.
9:36pm
and maybe, most remarkably, not that far away. we're going to wake the world up. and watch, with eyes wide, as it gets to work. cisco. tomorrow starts here.
9:37pm
from the united states postal service a small jam maker can ship like a big business. just go online to pay, print and have your packages picked up for free. we'll do the rest. ♪ ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day yeah! ♪ it was the best day ♪ because of you [sigh] [echoing] we make a great pair.
9:38pm
huh? progressive and the great outdoors -- we make a great pair. right, totally, uh... that's what i was thinking. covering the things that make the outdoors great. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
9:39pm
i'm just red carpets, big spectacles and the a-list. that's only the beginning. i have more than one red carpet. i like all sorts of spectacles. from the grandiose, to the impromptu... to the completely unexpected. and you'll only have to think about a list... when you cross this, off your own. los angeles. endlessly entertaining. plan your getaway at discoverlosangeles.com welcome back. tom hanks' broadway debut may never have happened if the script hadn't been written by his late great friend, nora ephron. now he tells me why he loved working with her so much. it's an amazing script. the richness of the writing. why do you think nora, you knew her as well as anyone, why do you think she got so entranced
9:40pm
-- >> i feel bad for everybody else because i did know nora and if you guys had met her, i mean, we worked in the workshop -- >> i knew her for ten minutes. >> yeah. a year ago. look, i'll have to say nora was a journalist in the best sense that a journalist could be. she was fascinated by what people did. she was completely entertained by human folly and i think she was genuinely impressed and moved by human achievements and i think that's what this play is. i think that's what all of her writing has been about and certainly the films that i was able to be a part of. nora could look, in this case, with all of our characters, she knew hap, she knew eddy, and she interviewed alice, you know, for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours, and so her fascinating with the way these
9:41pm
people's lives intersected around mike mcalary, i think she knows that was a unique thing that could only happen with very specific people and it could only happen in a very specific time and the potboiler atmosphere of new york tabloids. >> christopher, you bring a lovely light touch to the play. when you come out, everyone goes crazy. >> for some reason. >> we are all perplexed by this reaction. >> you play this cunning lawyer doing these great deals. mike mcalary, fascinating thing about him, he was almost a million dollar hack. he was getting these huge contracts through his smart lawyer to be this top dog crime reporter switching between the news and the post and so on. tell me about the role you play. >> i play eddie hayes, which is he is a phenomenal lawyer in new york. he handled the big case, made himself a household name in new york. he wrote "mouthpiece" which has been my bible.
9:42pm
he befriended mike mcalary as he wanted to live in a house i was spec selling out in bellport, changed his life in that he had to make more money to afford this lifestyle for his wife and kids, because alice deserved that life, and in that he became the highest paid journalist in new york city. bigger than his idol. >> and the fall that everybody else benefited from -- >> absolutely. daily and hap and everybody. >> and more money for writers. >> quite right, too. courtney, you are married to a very famous actress and performer. have any of the views of all of you changed about tabloid? >> it hasn't softened my fury. i think we just try to keep a low profile as we can, do what we do and scurry away. i think tmz is at the airport waiting for us.
9:43pm
>> i would have to say that celebrities are a dime a dozen. honestly. you can do almost anything and become a celebrity now. i think the price has gone down. i don't want to tell a huge story here but there was one time where i cornered a guy who was photographing, i was just out walking my dog. i said dude, who cares about me and my dog. he said i was actually trying to get somebody else's picture and you walked by. but i sat him down, i said look, look, okay, how does this work exactly. and i got him to confess to me that on a good year as a celebrity photographer, this was years ago, he on a good year could make $1.5 million from his photographs. >> you would be a good reporter. >> okay. i said okay, that's a good year. what's a lousy year. what's your standard year. he said a standard year's about $150,000 a year. now, i guarantee you that guy doesn't make that money anymore because the pictures aren't that valuable. >> but do you as some do, do you
9:44pm
resent the attention of paparazzi? >> no. >> or are they part of the business? >> part of the business. >> you're dashing off, maura, leaving me with the chaps. before you go, you do kiss tom hanks. >> several times. >> is he a good kisser? >> yes. >> how good. >> so-so. >> should we leave? we'll leave. >> no, no. >> there's a passion in mcalary marriage. >> absolutely. no hesitation. >> you'll get to kiss him probably another 500 times. >> there is act one. there's the bar. there's a couple bedroom smooches. >> sometimes in the kitchen, not always. >> she actually has a bunch of lips stamps and she xs out one. >> for kissing. >> that's right. >> maura, you are excused after that. thank you very much. >> bye. >> we love maura.
9:45pm
>> coming up, tom's costars talk about their favorite tom hanks movies. and i honestly didn't think i would ever quit. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. it put me at ease that you could smoke on the first week. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, or if you develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. with chantix and with the support system it worked for me.
9:46pm
[ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. a new ride comes along and changes everything. the powerful gs. get great values on your favorite lexus models
9:47pm
during the command performance sales event. this is the pursuit of perfection. during the command performance sales event. all stations come over to mithis is for real this time. step seven point two one two. verify and lock. command is locked. five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers. michael, tell us why you used to book this fabulous hotel? well you can see if the hotel is pet friendly before you book it, and i got a great deal without bidding. and where's your furry friend?
9:48pm
oh, i don't have a cat. now you can save up to 50% during priceline's spring hotel sale use promo code spring for additional savings on all express deals, including pet friendly hotels. express deals. priceline savings without the bidding.
9:49pm
she made everything beautiful. it's just tough this time of year. a kid needs a mother. >> could it be that you need someone just as much as jonah does? >> yes. >> that was "sleepless in seattle" tom hanks' first movie with nora ephron. i asked her son jacob bernstein about his mother's life as a writer. we are joined by jacob bernstein. before we could get to you, richard barrows over there is a guy who draws amazing cartoon pictures all over the walls of this restaurant. richard, good to see you. >> richard. >> you are actually drawing a portrait there of nora ephron. wow. >> yes. >> fabulous. jacob, good to see you. jacob, you wrote a very moving piece for the "new york times"
9:50pm
recently about your mother. one of the things that really struck me about it other than just the extraordinary gift she had for writing was the strength and inspiration she drew from mike mcalary's early death from cancer, when she herself as she began to finish the script knew that she was also dying of cancer. tell me about that. >> well, i think that she saw him, obviously mcalary was not a perfect person. he was a somewhat problematic husband and a somewhat problematic colleague and perhaps too motivated by money. but he found in the last days of his life particularly when the luema story broke, he went at it whole hog and he knew he was sick, and i think that she was in a lot of ways in a race to get as much done as she could. i think that that happens and work becomes its own kind of medicine and escape from illness.
9:51pm
but my mother also didn't know she was dying until the end. that is, you know -- >> she knew she was sick and she didn't share that really with almost anybody. >> yes. >> did you know, tom? >> not a clue. >> it must have been a huge shock to everyone. >> yes, it was. it was. look, this is part of the reason why nora is one of the most amazing people in the world, because she knew that if she had told us early on, the first question everybody would ask her well, how are you feeling, and that was just -- there's just no way to live. it puts a cramp on the great adventure and she didn't want that. so no, me and many other people who loved her very much didn't find out until literally 48 hours before. >> tom was in many ways your mother's go-to guy for movies, whether it was "sleepless in seattle," "you've got mail," this performance now. what was it about tom, you think, that your mother loved so much? >> well, he's the best.
9:52pm
but he's funny and charming. >> okay. enough of this. >> all that. all that and more. >> yeah. >> let me ask other guys who have watched this guy's work over the years. what to you is the favorite tom hanks performance? peter, start with you. >> it's "road to perdition >> it's just what i felt going from and going back so long with so many ridiculous and useless things together. i called him and i said i don't know how it's possible. i said that's one of the most extraordinary things about actors. you know, we can be bone headed and half dead and because of a tech's nuances that notes the rhythms, because of a great director and cast, this extraordinary, ridiculous, there's no business like showbiz's thing. it's the core of that that's poetic and extraordinary.
9:53pm
what an actor can accomplish that's greater than themselves. >> are we going to go through them all now? >> i'm going to go with tradition. it was that scene where the older son says why don't you like me? and we shared that because your scene in "braveheart," it absolutely tore me. what tore me apart was the fact that tom, after he said, okay, okay. and he got up and left. he went right back to his work. it tore me apart. >> i'm going to have to say "philadelphia." i absolutely lovered the movie. i loved the performance. he just transformed himself into a very sick, aids patient who
9:54pm
died from it. it was the only time in my life that i had written the letter. i just said, hey, you know, you, sir, we're not ripping apart hotel rooms to get attention or anything. you're doing great work and you're a family man and i love that. and he wrote me back. he said you, sir, are a groo. i still have it. >> that's fantastic. >> larry crown? nobody? >> nobody at all. >> what's the movie you'd make again? >> if i had three hours to live, i would not be making a movie. i would have to say -- i would probably say "apollo 13." >> really? >> yeah. you develop an ensemble and it sticks for three or four months. but kevin bacon, bill paxton and
9:55pm
i, that was about as pleasant a time as i could imagine. >> when we come back, why one of tom hanks' favorite movies doesn't star tom hanks. whoa! nobody insures more bikes than progressive. do you guys ride? well... no. sometimes, yeah. yes. well, if you know anybody else who also rides, send them here -- we got great coverage. it's not like bikers love their bikes more than life itself. i doubt anyone will even notice. leading the pack in motorcycle insurance. now, that's progressive. call or click today. aarrggh!
9:56pm
9:57pm
with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor. so all you notice is relief. aspercreme.
9:58pm
9:59pm
>> don't cry, shop girl. don't cry. >> i wanted it to be you. i wanted it to be you so bad. >> that's the nicest thing. cast of "lucky guy." tell me how they feel about bringing her work to life in broadway. how important is it to you, personally, to be -- and all of you at the shoot, to be making what turned out to be nora's last work? >> i'm just proud to have been, you know, to have done that reading. and, you know, i didn't -- i thought that was the end of it. >> yeah, we were involved a year ago, courtney, with tom.